Buyer (Fresh Produce)
Do you have experience buying local and imported fresh produce?
Are you passionate about minimising global food waste?
Do you have strong negotiation skills and a keen eye for a great deal?
MacGregor Black are partnering with a distributor of fruit and vegetables on the search for a Buyer (Fresh Produce). This is a permanent role based in London.
As the Buyer you will be responsible for the end to end sourcing of fresh fruit and vegetables. You will help to develop a competitive produce offering based on what our customers want, all with a focus on commerciality and sustainability.
- Design an exciting seasonal weekly box contents for B2C and B2B customers, based on availability of produce from our supply base
- Work closely with suppliers to understand forward weekly availability and stay aware of buying opportunities
- Buy a variety of fresh fruit and vegetable produce, negotiating the best price in line with the business requirements
- Achieve the margin targets as set in the business operating plan, through the use of up front planning and validation of accurate supplier invoicing
- Work closely with suppliers to build long term relationships to ensure future supply and to build strategic supplier partnerships
- Inform suppliers of any quality issues, providing supporting information and completing claims where necessary
- Work with Customer Happiness to review and monitor customer quality complaints, putting in place corrective actions or alternative sourcing arrangements
- Manage supplier relationships, track and report supplier performance and complete supplier reviews and site visits
- Maintain market knowledge to identify new product opportunities from existing suppliers and build our supply base by onboarding new suppliers
- Contribute to the business sourcing strategy, ensuring that sufficient supply relationships exist to support the breadth of our planned business growth
- Contribute to the design and implementation of new tech solutions
- Work with and support other members of the buying team to ensure that the overall team operates as an effective and efficient unit
- Build strong internal relationships and work closely with other departments such as Customer Happiness, Finance, Marketing, Operations and Technology
What we are looking for:
- A minimum of 3 years experience sourcing and buying local and imported fresh produce
- A passion for the sector and our mission to end food waste
- Driven, with entrepreneurial spirit, not letting anything dampen your energy and a willingness push through to achieve results
- A track record of 'getting things done' and prepared to take a hands-on approach
- Ability to operate effectively in a team whilst also confident working alone
- Flexible, with the ability to adapt to the changing priorities and needs of the business
- Excellent organisational and time-management skills
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Keen attention to detail
- Great excel skills and love for numbers
This is a great opportunity for a buyer to join an innovative and growing company. If you want to put customers first by developing a deep understanding of who our customers are and what the core product offering is, so you can source produce in line with the business strategy then this is for you!
Salary on offer is up to £40k + Benefits.
Please contact Seadna Finnegan today for further information