Are you a qualified chef from a Michelin star background?
Do you have experience with premium events?
Can you lead a team and assist with the day to day running of a kitchen?
MacGregor Black is currently partnering with an Ultra-Premium Spirits Producer, on the search for a Deputy Head chef. This is a permanent role based in London.
What you will do
- Oversee the day-to-day running of the kitchen, to deliver high quality food standards for our first-class events and experiences.
- In charge of staffing to ensure all events and sections are covered
- Oversee all ordering, liaising with suppliers and ensuring the best possible produce and price.
- Oversee the management of all food items and ensure compliance with current legislation in terms of food safety.
- Oversee allergen awareness making sure that protocols are followed, and the kitchen has safe methods in place for dealing with food allergens.
- Oversee kitchen cleanliness ensuring the kitchen is cleaned effectively at all times.
- In charge of the production of quality daily and seasonal changing dishes and menus, implementing Executive chef’s menu ethos and ideas and bringing the dishes to life.
- Ensure consistency of food quality, presentation, and plating; all prepared to serve in a timely manner.
- Keep recipes in good order and updated as necessary: work to agreed recipes and ensure other junior chefs and temporary staff work in the same way.
- Training and developing junior members of the team whether they be full time or agency.
- Help to prevent waste of food of any kind and over-production to mis-en-place. Keep food ordering to a minimum. Help to minimise the consumption of gas, electricity, and water.
- Ensure daily work areas are allocated to staff in the most efficient and cost-effective way to achieve quality results.
- Help develop staff (permanent or temporary) in achieving consistently high standards of food production and cleanliness in the workplace and encourage a continual improvement process.
- Ensure that you, and any staff you are responsible for, follow the rules and guidelines set by the company regarding – hygiene, stock rotation, dating, storage, temperature control of refrigerators, pest control, reporting of faulty equipment, reporting of notifiable diseases/accidents, and reporting of absence.
- Ensure all responsible cleaning, tidying and welfare of the kitchen and surrounding areas is carried out effectively and to a high-quality standard.
- Ensure the use, issue and care of all cleaning materials and equipment is controlled to maximum benefit, whilst considering health and safety regulations.
- Consult with the Head Chef where clarity is needed, or where there may be issues of concern, and comply with requirements regarding the workplace including internal procedures. Attend chef team and company briefings as required.
- Attend relevant meetings arranged in the interests of the business and our customers.
- Undertake any other duty and responsibility consistent with the role.
- Formal culinary training/qualification.
- Professional experience from very high-quality, fine dining establishments, Michelin Star or 2 AA Rosette as a minimum.
- Strong knowledge of, and interest in, European and British cooking.
- Ability to work with fine ingredients and prepare them from scratch.
- Clear communication skills.
- Able to work consistently well under pressure in a busy kitchen environment.
- Able to undertake a physically demanding role in hot conditions.
- Able to work positively within a team and with confidence to delegate tasks to relevant members of the kitchen brigade if and when required.
- A flexible approach to working hours, according to events timetable and kitchen rota.
- Excellent understanding of, and compliance with, Food Hygiene standards, and willingness to undertake relevant training.